Monday, July 21, 2008

time is going quickly

The summer is racing by quickly. We go back to work Aug 18 and I'm trying not to count the days just yet, but I know they are going by too fast for me.

Today I put the binding on two quilts and half way on another. Someone on one of my quilting lists asked if people liked doing the bindings. Some people said they dreaded it and some said they were happy to do it because that meant the quilt was almost done. I agree that it is exciting to put the binding on, but it is hard work. It is hard physically on my shoulders, manipulating the quilt and pulling and stretching so that the quilt doesn't warp on the edges. My bindings are 1,000 times better than when I first started and I think that is where the greatest improvement has been in my quilting since January of this year. I look back at some of those first quilts and cringe a little. I'm glad to see that I have been learning and progressing and can't wait to see where I will be a year from now.

I learned today in another of my online groups that a lady that works with one of my online crafters just got married two weeks ago. She quit her job so she could stay home and be a full time mom to three kids. There was a big thunderstorm over the weekend and the family dog had stolen her son's eyeglasses and left them out in the yard. She went out to get them and was stuck and killed by lightening. She left behind a brand new husband and three little children. I am hoping to make comfort quilts for the three children if I can find out their ages and genders and maybe favorite colors.

This is a reminder that we don't know how many days we have on this earth. We aren't promised tomorrow. Live today like it is your last and enjoy your family and friends. Spend today doing the things you love. The dishes will wait, the dust will be there tomorrow. Children grow up too fast. Take a minute today to hug them tight and tell them you love them.

On a happier note, I'm working on a scarf made from the wool yarn I bought at Lambtown. I just made up a pattern. I cast on 33 stitches and knit 3, purl 3 to the end. Do this for 6 rows and then switch. Purl the knit stitches and knit the purl stitches. It makes a basket weave pattern. I'm doing it in two colors, yellow and red (crimson) the colors of Oberlin College. The pattern for the colors is 3 sections of red, 1 of yellow, 2 of red, 3 of yellow, 1 red, 2 yellow...get it?

Promise to post a picture tomorrow. I also have a couple of high school kids coming over tomorrow to learn how to sew. They are going to be making pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer. I love helping gets get excited about voluneer work.

1 comment:

Carol E. said...

Amen to time racing too quickly. I try not to dwell on it, too. That sad, sad story!! Oh, that poor family! How nice of you to think of making quilts for the kids. And in your previous post... extremely funny looking after-being-sheared animals. I can barely even identify what they are in that naked state.