Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It's my day

Look, on the blog links on the left hand side, Alycia has named today Marilyn day! That's me! So, today is my day and I'm going to enjoy it to the fullest. Is that a word? As a teacher I should know. But, hey, I teach science, not English so I guess I can make up words if I want to.

Today began with teaching two young people how to sew. They are students at the high school I teach at (again, ending a sentence with a preposition is a bad thing...you would think I was in school or something) and they wanted to help make pillowcases for the ConKerr cancer program (http://www.conkerrcancer.org/) so they came over and I taught them how to make French seams and everything. These were the quickest learners ever. They each made three pillowcases in the 2 hours they were here and I sent them home each with a sewing machine and two more pillowcases cut out. I am going to cut more cases out for them and drop them off so they can keep going. I told them to call me when they get stuck. One of the girls' mothers knows how to sew, so hopefully she will help them if they forget how to thread the machines. They have a goal of 100 pillowcases this year.


They also want to make some Christmas stockings for the troops and are collecting items to send to Iraq in support of the troops. These are a couple of great kids. They almost make me want to go back to school. ALMOST. Not quite though.


I also pulled together fabric for a lady from church to cut for me. I love having people cut fabric for me. That is one less step in putting a quilt together.

No comments: